Thursday, August 17, 2006

Spluttering indignation

Well here's a fine how-do-you-do! This person is selling an autographed copy of The American Story on Ebay for $55. The only place people have had a chance to get this book so far was at the ALA convention in July, where Random House gave away copies in the exhibit hall. I sat there signing books, smiling, being friendly and nice. This person got a free copy, got it autographed, and now wants to sell it before the pub date, and I will receive no royalty! Talk about hutzpah! If it isn't exactly theft it certainly violates the spirit of the convention, where books are given to librarians as a way to promote the title among the people most likely to want to share it with kids. Chances are this is NOT a librarian at all, but someone who looked at the entry price to the exhibit halls of the convention as a good investment. Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

As a children's librarian I am appalled that a fellow professional would do something like that. As I am sure you have seen we often have conversations concerning whether or not a professional should put a preview copy of a book acquired like this one was in their catalogue. Personally I do not agree with it at all. It is definitely morally incorrect - we should all know this.
Take care

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer:

I agree with the previous comment. What a disappointment. However just out of curosity I've checked out the person's website, and truly, they are not librarians. They are dregs who take advantage of free books meant as promotion and sell them for their own profit. (nearly 2x the cover price!) Just plain sleezy. Intellection property only has value when people uphold the principle that people who created it should be compenstated.
Kind regards

Libby Koponen said...

I hope you wrote to ebay and protested! I did that when someone tried to sell an ARC of my book on Amazon. Amazon not only removed the book but reprimanded the seller.

THE AMERICAN STORY is a great idea! I bet you will win a Newbery for it. It deserves one, from what I've read about it -- and of course I will read it. I've ordered a copy.

I've been following your career with interest and admiration: I especially loved an article you wrote about the difference between the sublime and the beautiful (you had just come back from the South Pole). I passionately agreed with your points...and wondered a bit if the appreciation of the beautiful had something to do with growing up in South Salem?

(I did, too, and in fact we met a few times because you were friends with my youngest sister. I do not expect you to remember me: I am 11 years older AND have an iditoically good memory for my childhood and teenage years. As Amy Barr -- do you remember them? -- said when we ran into each other at a conference and I was rattling off names and incidents:
"How do you remember all this stuff?"
I kept a diary-and I remember SOuth Salem and most other things about mu childhood.

(this is more an extended email than a post!)

With VERY best wishes to you and THE AMERICAN STORY,
Libby Koponen

(You probably don't remember me, but we know each other from South Salem: you were a friend of my you